An integral part of the therapeutic approach at South Pacific Private is to facilitate client involvement in the 12 Step group relevant to their issues. The 12 Steps and 12 Traditions are the basis of a profound and effective low cost recovery resource that is widely available.
South Pacific Private believes in the Twelve Step Philosophy and encourages meeting attendance for recovering addicts. The only qualification for becoming part of a 12 Step fellowship is a desire to stop your addiction of choice - all ages, races, sex and denominations are welcome. There are also support groups available for the friends or family members of addicts, e.g. Al-ANON.
The philosophy and traditions began with Alcoholics Anonymous and have since been adapted to support people recovering from a range of different chemical and process addictions (drugs and gambling to name a few).
The 12 Steps
1. We admitted we were powerless over……– that our lives had become unmanageable.
2. We came to believe that a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
3. We made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood him.
4. We made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.
5. We admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.
6. We were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.
7. We humbly asked him to remove our shortcomings.
8. We made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.
9. We made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
10. We continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted to it.
11. We sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood him, praying only for knowledge of his will for us and the power to carry that out.
12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to others, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.
12 step Information and Resources:
2) Below are links to the websites of some twelve step fellowships from around Australia, here you can learn more about the you can visit these site for more information on the 12 Steps use their directories to find a meeting in your area.